Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Shoes! Bags!

I am so excited to be wearing my newest pair of shoes today that I decided to write about a woman's love of shoes...and then I also decided to extend that feeling to bags (though maybe its just my own obsession)
There is no feeling like having a new pair of shoes. It puts a little bounce in your step, because you are showing off something new. Not only that, but all of your tired old outfits are reborn because of the new shoes. Its interesting, because I don't like shoe shopping all that much. On my list of shopping loves, it is barely in my top five. The stores are always crowded, you can't really tell how the shoes look or feel because you feel funny walking around in them, and it can feel overwhelming with choices. But all of those feelings melt away when you finally find that one pair that you feel like you have been looking for all your life. For me, I immediately go home and try the shoes on again but with different outfits to see how they look.
The thing that people don't understand outside of New York City, in my experience, is that comfort is a sacrifice you sometimes have to make in order to love your shoes. My feet have been through so much trauma, it isn't even funny. But they continue to endure, because there is no feeling in the world like when someone says, "Oh my god...I LOVE your shoes!! Where did you get them!?!?!" and your feet know it.
For bags, it is the same principle. With the exception of the discomfort (sometimes...some bags are Heavy), new bags and new shoes go hand in hand. Putting your wallet and keys into a new bag and swinging it over your shoulder is such a great feeling. What I always end up doing is treating a new bag like royalty, meaning it never touches the floor, I hold onto it protectively when i am on the street or the subway, and if I see any dirt or schmutz on it I will clean it off right away. This lasts for about three weeks. Then I get really used to the bag and toss it around like, pardon the phrase, a pair of old shoes.
But see, that is the beauty behind shoes and bags. They don't have to be new to be loved. I have bags and shoes that I have owned for years that I love as if they were brand spankin' new. And every once in awhile I will be wearing the old ones out and someone will comment on them, and though it may be pathetic, but it makes my day.