Monday, May 08, 2006

Temporary Insanity

My birthday party was a success...I think. I usually judge my parties not by how many people were there or how long they stayed, but by how many of them call me the next day and say, 'Oh, Carrie. I am not doing so well...I am so hungover.' And in this case, my birthday party was a huge success.

Here's the bad part, I have absolutely no pictures from it. My usual birthday rituals are that I go to eat right before the party, and that I have a disposable camera to take tons of pictures. Well, I did eat before, but we ate at this bar where another friend's birthday party was happening. And I completely forgot to get a camera. It was very un-Carrie.
But regardless of the pictures I didn't take, everyone seemed to have a good time.
The Allman Brothers tribute band was not that bad. They were great musicians, but Cabin Fever is way too small a venue for the volume level they were playing at. We were all hovering by the front door so that we could have actual conversations.

Now, the super suprise of the night was when, at 2:30am, my friends say, "Let's go to Scores!"
I have never been to a strip club before. Oh, I have taken in quite a few topless revues in Vegas, and of course, Chippendales(twice) but those were shows. No lap dances, poles, gross men-well, maybe. So I said, what the hell, lets go.
Scores, it should be said, is not the strip club of anyone's fantasies. And that is disappointing. The lobby is cool and everyone around there is dressed really classy. Then you go inside.
We got ourselves a little space in the back and ordered some drinks and watched the girls onstage. At this point we were all shocked to find that there was no pole on the stage. No pole!?! Thats outrageous. The girls onstage basically walked to the edge of the stage and swayed or rocked their hips back and forth. Then their clothes came off, not in any burlesque or sexy way, just off. There was one dancer who clearly was moving on to better things after this. She danced around and did leg kicks from the floor...and she lowered herself into the splits. Needless to say, our whole group got up and applauded at that.
Yes, lap dances were bought. I got a birthday lap dance from two women, and I swear they were the worst lap dancers ever. One of our group informed me that the lap dances are like baseball pitchers. You never send out your best in the beginning. You send out one or two of your regular, semi-decent pitchers, and then you wait. You wait and then send out your ace in the hole...your ringer. And it is so true.
We waited and turned down lap dances from a bunch of girls...and then we saw one girl onstage and she was dancing and she was beautiful. So of course we bought a lap dance for one of the guys in the group. She did a great job. worth every penny.
It's funny because when you go to a place like this, with a big group of people, you expect that you will be reserved and act all mature. But I swear, we were cheering and giggling the whole time. You are sitting there, drinking your beer, telling a funny story to your friend, and then you gesture with your hands and all of the sudden, there's a boob. It is a surreal experience.
I would definitely go to another strip club, but maybe not Scores. I think I am ready to see some real dancing...some real POLE dancing.