Thursday, May 04, 2006

TEMP top five

Since my daily life is so mundane right now, I decided to share with everyone my Top Five All Time Celebrity Crushes!
Now, it should be said, these are not in order of love, but by how old I was when I loved them...this is important to remember when i get to number one.

#5: 1996-present
Ralph Fiennes
Many of you know him from The English Patient or maybe Red Dragon, but he is oh so much more. He almost always gets naked in his artsy movies, which I always appreciate. This is also, I think, when my Anglo-philia started. His voice, I swear to god, could melt me. I once was on a fan web ring...don't judge me...and I traded a copy of him in Wuthering Heights(so good, you must see it) for a copy of him reading the audiobook of The English Patient. I swear, for a month I went to bed listening to his voice.

#4: 1994-1996
Marlon brando (young)
This man wallpapered my room when I was in high school. Oh my god, he was hot back in the day. He had these muscles that looked like he could kill you with one hand...oooo, I love it. And to top it all off, he is an amazing actor. So watching his movies was always enjoyable. I refused to listen to people criticize him in reference to his weight. I bought books about him and read up on the little tidbits of his life. My dad used to have to drive me into the city to go to this one nostalgia store, where they had all these old movie stills and copies of Life magazine. It also smelled like moth balls and you felt like having a shower after being there for five minutes, but oh, the stuff I collected.

#3: 1990-1994
Kevin Costner
Ok, ok...please look at the dates. I loved him when he was at his most lovable. I think it all started with Robin Hood:Prince of Theives, but I have loved him since the first time I saw Field of Dreams. He is so charming and I can't stand it when he smiles and he gets all those crinkles by his eyes...its so damn cute!! I mean, who else could pull off an American accented Robin Hood against the likes of Alan Rickman??? That takes some guts. It is unfortunate that he started making really bad movie choices. I am still making it up to the friends I dragged to 3000 Miles to Graceland.

#2: 1988-1990
Harrison Ford
Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Working Girl. Do I really need to explain myself here? I went to the library and took out the 'Who's Who' guide to find what his address was so I could send him a letter. It took me 4 days to write to him, and it was a 5 page letter. Did I get a reply? No. I am still hurt by that to this day...sniff sniff

#1: 1996-1998
David Copperfield (don't judge me)
Alright, alright. I know this one takes WAY more explanation than any other crushes. Here is the best I can tell you. I loved magic when I was growing up, and whenever he had a tv special, he always made me laugh, so I crushed on him a little. NOW, my 7th birthday party was a Magic themed party, so I invited David Copperfield. I wrote him a little letter asking him to come and perform at my party, and he WROTE ME BACK! Well, I mean, he sent me an autographed picture and signed it, 'Thanks, David Copperfield.' I had that picture in a special album for years...until I realized how uncool it was...I am pretty sure I threw it away. Tragic.

So thats that. Of course, there are others that have come and gone, but these 5 guys stuck around the longest. And, like most crushes, they linger. So whenever they have new movies coming out, I can't help but get excited (hence me seeing 3000 Miles to Graceland). My oldest crush on D.C. culminated last February with a trip to his office and warehouse and Magic Museum in Las Vegas. He was not there, but there were pictures everywhere. I remember holding my breath whenever I heard a door open, in case it was him. Someday...someday...I will meet them all...except Marlon Brando, sigh.