Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bible Thumpin'

I was riding on the subway yesterday to get to a doctor's appointment. It was a fairly busy train considering it was 1:30 in the afternoon. (I guess I always imagine that the city clears out while people are at work) But the subway car that stopped in front of me wasn't that full, so I figured I got lucky. As soon as I stepped onto the train, I knew why it was not as crowded as the others...There was a bible thumper on board.
Now, a distinction has to be made. These people are all over. Some want to recruit you, some want to yell at you, some are just too crazy to know what they are saying. This guy...this guy was a mixture of all three types.
First of all, he was sitting with a bible across his lap, and an enormous cross around his neck. Secondly, he had an accent, though I couldn't figure out where it was from. Thirdly and lastly, he was shouting. And I don't mean speaking loudly...I mean shouting. Ear-ringing and headache-inducing shouts. And it was non-stop. He barely paused to draw breath.
Now, I had my headphones on...and let me tell you, I turned that mp3 player up as loud as I could handle...and his voice still pierced through. It was really beginning to give me a headache. Not what he was saying, but the volume and speed at which he was saying it. It doesn't bother me when people tell me I am going to hell; that the end is coming and Jesus will save us; that people today are so sinful, Jesus will be disappointed; etc. Those things don't really get to me, and not just because I am Jewish and don't believe in Jesus as a messiah.
But here's my point...oh yes, I have one...why with the shouting? I mean it. You never read about Jesus raising his voice. Was this guy hoping to convert us? Was he thinking that something that he shouted at us would get through and we would be changed? There were several other people on the train, and we all looked like we could use some aspirin...now surely, that can't be what Jesus would have wanted. He doesn't seem the type to want to cause pain and discomfort to anyone. But pain his messenger did cause. Oh yes, did I fail to mention that...the guy on the subway kept calling himself a messenger of Jesus. That was when I figured he is just crazy.
I mean, he didn't have a messenger bag or anything....ba dum bum. Thank you...I'll be here all week. Don't forget to try the veal.

But seriously, folks, I still have a headache. And now, to be perfectly honest, I am kinda annoyed with Jesus. Not his fault, I know. But still...