Friday, June 02, 2006

It's a Small World After All...

So I am starting a new job next week, and I don't know what kind of time I will have to afford my blog. I know the now staggering 3 people that read this may be upset, but I will try my darndest to keep it up.

That being said, lets move on...
My sister called me the other day, all upset, because she had just run into her ex boyfriend at the grocery store. Turns out he is engaged to be married in a few months. My poor sister had to stand there and listen to this jackass that broke her heart and then congratulate him. I felt terrible for her. But it made me start thinking about how small the world seems sometimes. Like running into your ex at a grocery store...it's the sort of thing you hope will never happen, but always does.
A year ago I was at a friend of a friend's birthday party and I ran into this girl I knew from high school. It was crazy. Through her I re-connected online with a ton of old high school friends. Stuff like that always happens, but you really don't expect it to. It can be really freaky.
I did some number crunching on the subway this morning. It's a summer Friday, so the trains were less crowded, but I figure on an average morning you can have up to 75 passengers on one car. 75 people...that is bigger than my friend's high school graduating class.
Once you have this number, you can multiply it to find out how many per train, by how many trains per hour, etc etc. So how is it possible that last year I found myself on the exact same train as a friend from college? not just once, mind you, but twice this happened. Same car on the same train. It doesn't make sense at all.
My point is this, odds are you are going to run into your ex at some point...but for when you do, have a story already made up that you can tell them to make yourself sound fabulous.
Or wear a hooded sweatshirt everywhere you go so that they don't recognize you. Whichever you prefer.