Tuesday, November 21, 2006

London Calling




In 37 hours I will be in London. I am so excited. Its Thanksgiving, so I know its weird to LEAVE the country...but trust me, the airfares are a lot lower than usual - because who would leave for the UK on Thanksgiving!?!?! Well, I would. And I am.
I usually like to travel that way about once a year. I have friends I can stay with and they always show me a good time. I haven't been for over a year and a half, since I quit my job this year and went for a few months without any solid income. So I was way overdue for a large trip.
What's weird this time is that I am actually nervous. Not for the flight...that stuff never bugs me. And not for the general travelling, because I know it is only a hassle for a bit. No, I am nervous for the first time in my life about actually being in London...and not because of terrorism, contrary to what my old boss thinks. I feel like for the first time I am a real adult going abroad for a few days. My friends are all in relationships, they all have steady day jobs, and they all live and work in London. It boggles my mind. I mean...these were kids that taught me my first ever drinking games, and now they have live in girl/boy friends. Crazy
Now, the last time I visited in 2005 I went with my friend, Sirrah. She had never been and I felt comfortable enough to be her tourguide. I can only assume that was the reason that trip didn't make me nervous. I had a purpose. In the daytime when my friends were at work or where ever, Sirrah and I were seeing the sights.
My trip to London before that was a bit of a bust. I had a good time in the beginning, but it started to diminish in fun after the third day. People just didn't seem that pumped to go out with me, and I was on my own most of the time. I was so upset about not enjoying my trip that I started thinking that I shouldn't go back again for awhile. So when I went the next year with Sirrah, we had such a good time together that it redeemed London in my eyes.
Now I am travelling alone again. And I think I am nervous that I won't have tons o' fun. So I have to rally tonight, kids. I have to rally.
So nothing but positive thinking from now on. So what if I haven't coordinated with any of my friends yet. So what if I don't have anyone to meet me at the airport...or know where I am going to be staying...or how to get there, once I know where I'm staying. I am sure it'll all work itself out.

NO WORRIES, MATE!! (oh wait...that's australian, isn't it? Damn.)
Cheerio??